Saturday, April 19, 2014

(15) I'm not supposed to be a poet.

(15) I'm not supposed to be a poet.

Lately I've been thinking I'm not supposed to be a poet
that I am not that architect
that's welding word to word to structure bridges
that are long enough to bring the world together
I'm not qualified
to write poems I can trust not to collapse
beneath the feet of the people I've been trying to lift up
and I've been trying
convinced that I am some kind of gardener
that if I just take in the perfect seeds
then poetry would start to grow inside of me,
that it would bloom out of my mouth
and sprout out of my fingertips
and crawl out of my eyeballs,
I would come alive
so I've been eating like 12 helpings each
of granola bars and sunsets and the whole world's brokenness,
cause that's what poems are made of, right?
And I tried to fertilize these seeds
with other poets' pre-processed emotions
spent hours surfing youtube hoping it would grow me
but it didn't do a thing
because I already know how to sound poetic
I already know how to operate inside the six orthodox topics
of spoken word poetry;
it's all love and sex
and political oppression,
and the next generation,
and life as a minority,
and the nature of divinity
and... oh yeah...
POETRY.
And while we're speaking in convention,
I might as well mention that I can create
a cocktail of metaphors
perfectly mixed to mess with my audience's heads,
make them drop inhibitions they didn't even know they had,
yeah,
I know how to sound poetic
I can even craft my pace and cadence
to elevate my language into prophecy
then pause
right when you were thinking that you needed time
to process
yes, I can read this script
my only question is, who wrote it,
cause this used to be the art form of the rainbow-colored underclass
breaking expectations to join excellence with true expression
but now it's just a safe release for angsty hipsters
and Canadians
no offense if you're either
I'm just trying to be honest,
to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to
'be a poet'
if all it means is crafting poem-shaped emotions
just to make them sound acceptable/accessible
but sometimes
right when I'm trying to sleep
or when I'm thinking about people that I've only seen in dreams
or even when I'm walking down the street
poetry finds me
see, poetry's my predator
and I am just
prey
ing that I find the strength to overcome the urge to run away
as it makes me
a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment