Thursday, May 1, 2014

(24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30)

Thus concludes a month of absolutely abhorrent and unpublishable poetry. Well, actually, to be strictly honest, I met my goal. I wrote an average of one scribble per day. My guiding principle has been 'fits and starts', and I had quite a bit of both.

Writing obligatory makes me more and more nauseous each time I do this, so I'm not sure if I'll continue in the future. But for now, anyway, here's the obligatory first FIRST super raw and ugly drafts of poems with none of the discrimination or selective quality filters I'd normally put on what leaves the notebook. Please don't take this as a measure of my work (but maybe, maybe, a measure of my play?).

(24)Lazy Haiku

Last day of April,
and seven poems behind.
It's time for haikus!

  1. Faithful

an instant and resounding crack
envelops all of it--
bone and muscle, blood and fat,
leaves nothing but the smell
of someone else's fire
in my nostrils
in my ears,
the echo of a nameless god
calling,
this is my body”
and though I know that it was not for me,
i am ready to be broken. 

(for a priest of Baal in the Elijah story)

(26)Day 6

Dear Mom and Dad: I am settling into li
fe here fairly well. Today I received my r
oom assignment; I've been placed in o
ne of those flats which loses an inch ea
ch year. Of course, I am not complainin
g. They do say that the Reduction Com
mittee has marvelous plans for all of the
extra space which will be collected, and
several years from now I will not even n
eed the extension cord which was furni
shed with the room. Which reminds m
e, the furnishings are all a pleasant colo
r which they call, “Deep Mist.” I suspect
this has something to do with the simil
arity to the weather outside. I have fou
nd it quite synergizing to sit in my cha
ir and look out the window; everything
is in line. Which reminds me, how are t
hings back home? Has there been any
improvement with the situation? Pleas
e write back to me soon, Love, Ariadne

(27)Day 13

Dear Mom and Dad, All is well h
ere. I am fulfilling all of my oblig
ations. Making friends has prove
d as difficult as ever. Three days
ago, I met Mrs. Brunstmeyer fro
m the flat above when her cat k
nocked a flower pot from her pa
tio onto mine. Fortunately the f
urnishings also included a small
grey broom, so I was able to sw
eep up and return the pieces to
her. I asked whether she had a p
ermit to grow flowers, but I sup
pose it is like you said, many pe
ople take curiosity for rudeness
and I do not think we are friend
s now. However, I console myse
lf in watching the grey mist thr
ough my window; it is so peace
ful. I really hope all is well at ho
me. Faithfully yours, Ariadne.

(28)New

Mankind stands thigh-high
in God's boots,
trying to walk with grace like Daddy does.
We try to insist on our own legitimacy
and it's cute,
really,
how we try for humble
and then stumble into self-denial
how we try for grace and land
at amnesia
how we try for making all things new
and fall for making all new things.
But it's lovely
how we show so little desire
to try on boots our size.

(29)Hide Not

It is musical how a spring could
tune the world to wonder
but many (who) imagine differently
turn out troubled
some thoughts born in sky will fall
all that is new will start stumbling

(30)Ode to a Lost Journal

I left you
at the Church.
I suppose it was poetic.
I was surprised to find you missing.
I'd taken all the proper precautions
and still you were inevitably gone.
It's amazing how unable I became
to write in any other medium.
It is amazing how fast
I resigned myself
to your absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment